Mavericks Air Quality Policy
Mavericks Soccer Club wants to ensure that all our players and coaches can enjoy training in an environment that is safe. In recent years the club has had to cancel many practices due to poor air quality from wildfires around the state and the poor air they produce that blows into the Bay Area. The club has to make sure that it limits players exposure to this harmful air as much as possible. We understand that everyone wants to be on the fields training, sometimes there can be a tendency to ignore some of the harmful factors especially if we haven't been on the fields for a few days.
The club will be enforcing a strict air quality policy for all players and coaches to abide by. This policy will also allow families to know when practices will likely be canceled due to poor air quality quickly and easily, without waiting for an official message from the club. All this will hopefully help with planning when there is a practice cancellation.
Mavericks Soccer Club Air Quality Policy
Mini Mavericks (U8) - U12 (2007)
- If the Air Quality Index rate is above 100, all practices will be canceled, due to the sensitivity of younger players in these conditions.
- If the Air Quality Index rate is between 50-100 practices will go ahead under reduced training conditions (limiting running and other exertions)
- If the Air Quality Index rate is between 0-50, there will be no conditions placed on training.
U13 (2006) - U19 (2000)
- If the Air Quality Index is above 150, all Mavericks practices are canceled.
- If the Air Quality Index rate is between 101-150 practice will go ahead under very reduced training conditions (limiting running and other exertions)
- The closer the Air Quality Index rate is to 150 the more reduced the training will be.
Note: If any Mavericks player suffers from asthma or any other pulmonary/lung conditions a doctor must be consulted before training in these types of conditions.
Parental Discretion - A parent or player has full discretion to prevent their son/daughter/themselves from attending Mavericks training when the club implements its air quality policy. There will be no penalty placed on any player not attending practice when the club implements the air quality procedure.
Finally - If conditions are improving throughout the day the club will make a final decision regarding training at the following times (below), to give families sufficient time to plan accordingly. Once a decision has been made it will be final.
- Final decisions (if required) will be made at 2:30 pm for the 4 pm training slot
- Final decisions (if required) will be made at 4 pm for the 5:30 pm training slot
To check the current air quality index that will be used in determining training conditions, please click here.